Compounding combines an ageless art (making medicines from “scratch”) with the latest medical knowledge and state-of-the-art technology, allowing specially trained professionals to prepare customized medications to meet each patient’s specific needs. Compounding is fundamental to the profession of pharmacy and was a standard means of providing prescription medications before drugs began to be produced in mass quantities by pharmaceutical manufacturers. The demand for professional compounding has increased as healthcare professionals and patients realize that the limited number of strengths and dosage forms that are commercially available do not meet the needs of many patients, and that these patients often have a better response to a customized dosage form that is “just what the doctor ordered”.
Our compounding professionals can prepare:
- Unique dosage forms containing the best dose of medication for each individual.
- Medications in dosage forms that are not commercially available, such as transdermalgels, troches, “chewies”, and lollipops.
- Flavored medications for a child who has difficulty taking a prescription because of the taste. He or she won’t mind taking medication that tastes like bubblegum, watermelon, or tutti-frutti.
- Medications free of problem-causing excipients such as dyes, sugar, gluten, lactose, or alcohol.
- Combinations of various compatible medications into a single dosage form for easier administration and improved compliance.
- Medications that are not commercially available.
- Pet medications that taste like your pet’s favorite treat such as bacon and fish for cats, chicken and liver for dogs, or apple and molasses for horses. Even birds, rodents and reptiles have favorites.
- Alternate dosage forms for animals such as pastes, custard, or traditional pet biscuits and treats.